Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tales From the Courthouse: Presentation is Everything, Until You Forget What You Are Presenting

As I sit here preparing for my court appearance tomorrow, I reminded of the nonsense I witnessed last week.

As usual, we were all crowded on small benches in the dreary hallway, waiting for the almost indiscernible sound of the courtroom door unlocking. Heard only by dogs -- and lawyers, naturally. Although the legal world is large, the world of lawyers that actually go to court are quite small. You see the same people time and time again. Naturally, camaraderie and inside jokes develop.

So when a woman gets wheeled down the hall on a gurney, strapped down, accompanied by two EMS personnel, an attorney says "That's not good" with a cynical chuckle. Another ponders if it is one of our colleague's clients.

However, when the gurney stops at the bathroom, and the woman, immediately after becoming unstrapped jumps off the gurney light as air and runs inside easy as can be, we all stare in disbelief. In fact, I say to the guy across from me "Did she just....", as he answers "Yes. Yes, she did." To think, I thought I have seen it all.

She is then heard yelling in the bathroom "I know law more than you do!" I am going to have to respectfully disagree lady. Presentation is everything and even though the gurney and the neck collar were a good start, the free moving limbs and sprite movements completely destroy the picture you are trying to create.

As she was wheeled away, we heard her mumble "This medication is making me crazy. I need to talk to an attorney about this"

That's not all you need to talk about.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

4 important things being said:

Jennifer said...

I love it!!! I need to get some excitement like that in my work day. You all should have taken pictures. Oh, wait, you can't bring cameras into court can you? The crooks win again huh?

Living Dees Life said...

i'm speechless -which is hard to do!

j'lynn said...

This is great!! LOL I can't wait till I get to go to court and can have posts as great as yours! hehehehehe

*~Dani~* said...

Jennifer - this is the reason they dont allow camera phones in court. Except this court where, although they are banned, they are too caught up in looking at everyone's keys? However, typically as an attorney I can bring a camera phone in, but I try not to abuse that privilege.

Blaez - ha! Gotcha! Leave it to me to find something to leave you speechless.

jlynn - I cannot wait either. I have a feeling with the type of law you want to go into, you will have a lot more crazy stories!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin