Monday, August 22, 2011

Knock! Knock! Mo Fo Karma Wants Her Five Dollars Back

Sometimes karma doesn't come around until much later. So much later, in fact, that the person wishing for karma to come back around never really knows if it does. That was not the case for my friend last week.

My friend was on her way back to the office and stopped to get gas. She noticed a beat up old van with a walker visible in the window and a man that appeared to need assistance. He told her that he just got out of the hospital and needed gas money to get home.  Feeling in a caring mood, she offered him the $5 that was in her wallet. He graciously accepted it and thanked her profusely.  Before my friend could put her gas cap back on, he was gone. He did not get gas.

That got her goat.  

If she had a goat.

You know what I mean.

Karma was on duty and caused my friend to look across the street where she spotted the man's van pulling into the liquor store.

That got her goat.

See above.

She hopped in her car and went to the liquor store. She rushed inside and found the man, not even buying liquor, but buying a lotto ticket. Then it went a little something like this:

She:  Gas money? REALLY? Gas? Where's the GAS?
Man: What? It's only a lottery ticket.
She:  I want my $5 back! NOW!

The man rifled through his pockets. The cashier grinned and gave my friend a thumbs up. The man then said he must have left it in his car.

She: Oh good. Then I will just follow you out to your car to retrieve it.

Apparently, he did not think she would go through with it as when they got to his van, he pulled the $5 out of his pocket and meekly handed it to her. Then he got THE LECTURE:

She: You are what is wrong with people today! You are what makes people like me not want to give to people in need because they might get scammed by people like you!

Then she went to her office.  Still mad.

Without her goat.

Or is it with her goat?

I don't even know what that expression means. I do know that there is a man out there that might think twice before he pulls that scam again.

Or at least maybe buy his lotto ticket at the gas station.


 


P.S. The first part of my title is from The Bloggess. If you are not reading her blog, you should be. In fact, you should start with this post.

6 important things being said:

Kacie said...

Good for her! I totally agree. I think I was scammed by someone who "needed gas money." She was pulled over on the side of the road and looked desperate and I let this crazy woman into my car and I drove her to a gas station maybe a mile away and filled it and drove it back to her car. And then I followed her back to the gas station so I could get more gas for her so she could get home. She did seem poor, but she probably was a scammer.

I can't believe how easy it was for me to let a stranger into my car. This was pre-children, at least. But OMG. She coulda been a really, really bad person.

Never again! And that's the sad thing, because sometimes people really do need help and aren't scammy. Pfft.

Cindy said...

Oh, that "got my goat" too!! I had some similar things happen to me when I worked in the "D"! I'm glad she followed through (and didn't get hurt!)

Rebekah J said...

BRAVE! I'd have slunk off in my car bitching under my breath. Good for your friend standing up to jerks like that - they ARE what's wrong with the world today, I couldn't have said it better.

*~Dani~* said...

Kacie - girl! I havent seen you in a while. Well, at least your person actually bought gas and not a lotto ticket. Maybe she scammed you out of gas, but then again you never know. It is kind of crazy to let a stranger in your car. Have to be careful!!

Cindy - I am glad she didn't get hurt either. We all cautioned her about that.

Rebekah - so brave and so angry! Sometimes you don't think clearly when you get angry. Such jerks!

sprinkles said...

OMG, I would never have had the courage to follow that guy into the liquor store and demand my money back. I'd have just fumed about it instead! Your friend is now my hero! lol

*~Dani~* said...

@sprinkles - I don't think I would have the courage either. She is something else!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin