Saturday, May 23, 2009

Doesn't Everyone Have a Cat Porch?

Once we got the swing all set up, we went outside to enjoy it. The cats came with. Since B had fixed all of the screens and the porch has a door, the cats were in heaven. They absolutely love to look out the windows at all of the birds as demonstrated below by Chester:



In fact, they love it so much so that they cry at the door like they are dogs. You know what I love? Quiet cats. Not ones that cry at the doors like dogs. However, if I do let them out on the porch, they will happily sit out there for HOURS. Especially Chester. Occasionally you will hear the thwap thwap thwap of his little paws running across the porch in pursuit of a bird and B claims to have heard him crash up against the screen in chase, but I have not yet seen this occur.

As the cats are so happy to be out there and we are so happy when they are quiet, I mean happy, B decided to take it a step further and make it easier for them to look out without standing on their hind legs. Yes, he gave them a perch. A shelf to be exact:




Now they can sit out there all day. Of course there is only one and they have to fight over it, but since Chester is out there the most, he is on it the most. Don't you love how Chester is looking at me in the above pic like "another picture" and then at Mooch in the below pic like "is this lady insane with the pics"? Apparently so, because right after this picture was taken, I noticed our backyard neighbors staring right at me. I waved. They laughed. They think I am nuts. They are probably right.



The one and only time of sharing on the porch:


And this picture just for kicks because I love how the light got Chester's face.

Now, I have to say, it is not all fun times and happy dances on the back porch. Chester will tell you. In fact, it was the first day out on the porch. B and I decided to go get something to eat and exited out the front door which is rare because our cars are usually in the back. We locked up. We left. We ate.

Two hours later, we arrived home to find Chester locked out of the house and on the back porch. We were shocked and then we laughed. Chester did not laugh. In fact he cowered and would not come near us for a good 15 minutes.

We are awful cat parents.

7 important things being said:

Jennifer said...

Chester is looking so slender there!

Living Dees Life said...

you gave ma marvelous idea that i want to do for my kitty when we get our place in florida...

and speaking of being bad kitty parents: when we lived in the condo (a little over a year ago) we had a balcony and we were on the 4th floor. Drake looooved going outside in the morning and running back n forth after the birds....

well, one morning i forgot to let him back in. and there was a problem with the birds trying to fly inside so we closed the door after him... over 10 hours of the little guy outside all day with no food or water. we were at work.

i tripple checked after that to make sure he was safely inside before we left any where and stopped putting him out when i got in the shower in the mornings.

now we're on the bottom floor and a grassy area in front of sliding glass doors on the sides. there is a huge tree infront of them. he can't go out side but he still sits there and chases the birds with his eyes and runs into the glass doors.

Andhari said...

The part when they shared to look outside together is too cute!

*~Dani~* said...

Jenny - is it because he is standing on his hind legs? He knows all the runway photo tricks you know.

Blaez - I havent even begun to tell you how we are awful cat parents. But, I really think it is the cats' fault. They are so super quick that you dont even realize they are in and out. 10 hours? that is a LONG time. Our cats would stop speaking to us after that for sure!

Andhari - i thought so too and it is so rare, I really had to get that photo!

Jamie said...

I love the pictures of the cats and I can't wait for the post on the neighbors. I love the shelf for the cats! I don't think you are a bad kitty parent. I once locked my kitty out and left him alone on a third floor balcony while I went out to dinner with friends.

Ronald said...

You can never go wrong with a good cat story and alot of pictures

*~Dani~* said...

Jamie - i will try to get that neighbor post out soon. It is quite amusing. I guess we are bonded once again with our bad cat parenting. I still say we should blame the cats.

Dad - there will be a Chester post coming soon. With pictures!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin