Monday, March 16, 2009

The Evolution of the Desk Continues...

Remember in this post how I told you that B loved me SO much that he agreed to let me use his desk indefinitely because the setup was so perfect for my room? Well I loved him SO much that I found my very own desk so he could reclaim his boyhood memories.


After perusing the IKEA website, I saw a white desk that was L shaped with shelves similar to B's old desk. However, after measuring the room, I thought it would not work. Well, last weekend B and I took a trip to IKEA to see if we could find some rugs and other things for the house. Rugs were not all we bought. I got the desk! And it fits!

Here are the pictures of the desk/shelving unit being built:




The above picture is a good one to show where the desk will be placed. It will stick out from the middle of the case leaving a cube of four above and a cube of four below the desk. Below are the pictures of the finished desk. Also, can you see my beautiful new green rug? I love it. It makes the room so much cosier.



A special thanks to B for fixing all of the wires so they weren't so ugly. That big wire coming out and across the floor is for the cable. Our wireless router currently is not strong enough to send the signal through this old house and up to me. We, meaning B, is working on this.

Here is the rug:



Here is a pretty gray lamp I bought, also at IKEA, so B could have his library lamp back with the desk:




B also purchased these green boxes from IKEA that fit into the cubes for extra and neater storage. They are currently empty while I try to figure out what goes where. And yes, I am using an old dining room chair for now. I need to find a comfy one to match the room:



I found the tissue box that is sitting on my desk in some boxes at my parents house. When I brought it home, I was not anticipating the desk and whole green theme. It goes quite well:


This is a picture of underneath the desk. B installed two cubes of drawers and bought these smaller boxes as well. They are not empty, but I am still configuring them. When I do, I will post my organization (plus the closet project) for you to check out:


Finally, an inside view from the back corner. I love this new office and am happy I was able to take pictures for you during the day so you can see how much light I have in here from the sun.


On a side note, I really have to do something with that arm chair and ottoman. Even a slipcover would be an improvement right now.

5 important things being said:

Jennifer said...

I love the desk! Bryan is reading over my shoulder and commented on the vintage chair though! He said he "likes how you ix the vintage with the modern". LOL.

You should recover that chair. That would be a fabulous project!!

fingers said...

Will the ottoman fit down the kitchen disposal...

*~Dani~* said...

Jenny - tell Bryan I am totally eclectic. I dont know if I am quite up for recovering the chair myself. I might have to hire it out.

fingers - no, but the lamp might.

Rach said...

You, my dear, have quite a lovely office. What an awesome set-up with that desk and storage.

Maybe you should take the chair to RHK Upholstery on Gratiot (so then you can tell me what it's like, and I can then take a leap of faith and get a rocking chair done!)

*~Dani~* said...

Rach - thanks. Now I just have to organize all the stuff I want to store! I will let you know what I end up doing with this chair and I will check out RHK Upholstery. Thanks for the tip!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin