Sunday, March 15, 2009

How Do You Dispose of This?

This is the story of a girl who needed to use the disposal in her kitchen sink, but did not know how. Before you laugh at this girl and say silly things like "just flip the switch," listen to her story.




The girl decided to empty some food out of the fridge and down the disposal. She got the food, walked over to the sink and, luckily, before putting the food down the drain, decided to locate the switch for the disposal.


She looked to her left, where the switch should have been, no switch:


She looked up to the only other wall where a switch could have been, no switch:


She even looked at the disposal itself, no switch:



So she stopped looking. Instead, she threw the food in the garbage where it proceeded to stink up the place in no time and consulted her husband a/k/a B about this problem. B thought she was funny and went into the kitchen to show her how it is done.

B looked left:


B looked up:


B could not find the switch either. As is the case with all of the other problems in this old house, B knew that he could solve it. He WOULD fix this dilemma. He would solve the puzzle. There would be sink disposing in this house.

So B took to the internet. Over the next couple of weeks, B researched and read. He looked at the disposal. He researched and read. He took the disposal apart. He researched and read. He put the disposal back together again.

Sadly, B declared it a lost cause.

Even though B and the girl knew there HAD to be a way to turn on the disposal. They were stumped. They had stinky garbage. The girl was very sad.

Then one day B stumbled upon this item laying on top of the stove:




It looks like a very deep sink stopper, thought B. But they already had a sink stopper! Was this the answer to their dilemma? Could it be?

B took that item and put it in the sink:



...and much to his wondering eyes, the disposal turned on once the stopper was turned. It was magnetic. Like magic.

B was the hero. The girl was happy. Food was disposed of.

All was right in their world.


EDIT: The girl has been instructed by B to mention the fact that he suspected all along a magnet was involved. It is true, he did.

11 important things being said:

Jennifer said...

What an interesting disposal! I have never heard of such a thing!

Debi said...

I agree Jennifer, I too have never heard of or seen one like that.
I wonder, is it like a fairly new one or an old one ??
B. please let us know the answer!
And "Girl" I am glad you don't have a stinky house any more :)

*~Dani~* said...

I am not sure if B even knows the answer. The disposal looks new, but it is strange. What is crazy is that I have always read that you should run water while using the disposal. You cant with this one because the water is stopped by the very thing that turns on the disposal!

Debi said...

LOL - I was just coming back to ask the question about the water !
And ALSO -- I want a Darth Vadar to guard my kitchen too, I feel so out of it :)
Hmm, I do have a green singing M & M...but I have a feeling I would be slapping it silly if it kept singing everytime I was near the sink LOL

*~Dani~* said...

Mom - you are the one that got the Darth Vadar cookie jar. Little did you know that one day he would guard our kitchen. Although he was probably snickering during this disposal debacle!

Debi said...

I do have good taste afer all - if you want , I can let you use the singing M & M to entertain Darth while he is guarding your house while you guys are at work....just a thought :)

*~Dani~* said...

Thanks but I think one cartoon like character is enough :)

Ruth said...

I'm glad the mystery is solved. I've never heard of disposal that is turned on by a magnetic stopper!

*~Dani~* said...

Mom - it is truly mysterious and probably not the best way to turn on a disposal either.

fingers said...

I'm surprised you didn't stick your arm down the plughole to see if the switch was in there...

*~Dani~* said...

fingers - ha! I may have left that part out. No, I didnt do that. Thanks for your faith in my smarts.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin