Monday, October 12, 2009

Tales from the Courthouse: Pursuing Justice with Grace

The other day I had to go to court on some motion hearings, three to be exact. That is a lot of courtrooms to run between. Luckily, one of my colleagues was there and took pity on me and did one of my hearings for me. He still got out of there well before I did. That was in large part because all three news channels were in my courtroom. Naturally, I was in the hall when that hearing occurred and missed being on TV, but I did get to witness the post hearing interview in the hall. It was a ridiculous law suit, filed on a decades old law that has since been overruled by subsequent law, to which the attorney claimed he would appeal. And he was wearing floods. Nothing like being on TV with too short pants.

In any event, as I was waiting and watching, I thought of all the things that I could post about my trip to the courthouse. I truly thought that the highlight of the day would be the guy next to me that screamed at his associate for a good 15 minutes about a brief using every swear word you can imagine and ending with:

"He had a finger stuck up his ASS? Does that sound consensual?"

No, it really doesn't does it? Well, although quite entertaining, that was not the highlight of my trip.

The highlight would be when I FELL on my HANDS AND KNEES.

IN THE STREET.

In front of an oncoming car and in front of at least 10 people, only 1 of whom asked me if I was okay.

And thereby SKINNED my one knee and bruised the other knee and also skinned my palm (but did not drop my phone - um...yay?).

At the time I did not know about the skinned knee and bruised knee although I suspected it from the pain. After telling the ONE person that asked if I was okay that I was, and after quickly getting up to make sure I wouldn't get hit by the car, I just casually walked to the parking structure like nothing had happened.

It was only as I was changing into the pair of jeans I luckily had thrown into my car that I realized the damage I had done.

That was over two weeks ago.

My left knee is still horribly bruised.

My right knee still shows evidence of being scraped.

And my pride? It is still lying in the street with pieces of my skin.



6 important things being said:

J said...

I totally understand how you feel. About a monthish ago, I wrecked my bike as in bicycle not motorcycle and I ended up wounded everywhere and most importantly, my pride.

Jennifer said...

I am cracking up. Can you explain how you fell? Did you trip? Or maybe you were pushed and you just didn't feel the push? Yeah, I think you were pushed. So mean!

j'lynn said...

OMG...girl?! You okay? I so would have asked if you were okay if I witnessed it...I swear!

What is up with attorneys getting hurt?!? One of my attorneys hit herself with her trunk lid this weekend and then went around the office asking if she could file a PIP claim for her CAT Scan.....

You probably wonder if she hit herself hard enough to knock herself out and that answer is No... LOL

Andhari said...

Tripping all of a sudden and bruised self definitely sounds like me too.Only in my case usually people laugh. Mean much :(

*~Dani~* said...

J - it takes so long for the pride to recover, although the bruise is giving the pride a run for its money.

Jennifer - I forgot that part! I was wearing shoes that I typically do not wear nylons with. Then my left foot felt like it was slipping out of the shoe so I went to firmlly place it back in and lost my footing and tried to correct but overreached and then I went down. oh, and I was pushed. So mean!

jlynn - I am okay. Bruised, skinner, embarrassed. The usual. I am sitting here wondering what girl hit herself with a truck lid and two come to mind.

Andhari - no one laughed. That I saw. I am sure they were snickering though.

j'lynn said...

Hmmm...curious if one of your two is the true victim. Maybe this hint will help...she was put out to pasture a few years back. I don't know if it was pre or post departure.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin