Tuesday, March 29, 2011

From Jersey to Nevada and No Points In Between: The Tale of the Woeful Dog That Stole Our Hearts

It happened last Wednesday as I was sitting in my office.  Taking a glance at Facebook, I saw a post from a girl I went to high school with.  She posted a picture of a dog that she found on her porch when she opened her door.



The first thing that struck me was how much it looked like Jersey. The second thing was that it had a rope around its neck that looks like it was chewed.  The third, and saddest, thing was that I could see all of its ribs.  My heart broke and then grew three times its size like in The Grinch.

My friend's friends all discouraged her from finding the owner since the pup was so neglected and encouraged her to keep it since it made its way to her home. She said it was very loving and playful. Also, it never left her porch even when she had to leave to pick up her kids.  She also found that it was immediately protectful of her house.

However, she could not keep it.

I quickly emailed the picture to B and he told me that we could take it before it would go back to its owner.  His heart had grown as well.

In the end, no one claimed the dog, no service would come get the dog, and I got an urgent message from my friend asking me to come get it. And so I did.  I drove to a rather rough part of the city to pick up a dog I knew nothing about.  She was laying on the porch when I got there.


She immediately jumped up, wagged her tail and ran over to me.  We coaxed her in the car and off we went.


Driving home was a trip.  This was not a trained dog and she tried to climb behind me, on me, in front of me, and spent a hell of a long time licking my face.

Once we got home, I made her a bed in the garage as we needed to get her to the vet before she could come into the house.  She was so loving and playful and grateful. I fed her a bit and you could tell she was starving which hurt my heart even more.  B texted me often with updates as he was working that night.  He requested I send him a picture to see what she really looked like, but it was hard since she was constantly climbing on me. Finally, exhausted she laid down for a moment and I captured one:


She immediately became protective of our house barking when strange voices were around, but generally quiet after that. When B came home that night, she ran up to him, tail wagging and full of kisses.

The next day she went to the vet and got a clean bill of health and some shots.  She is about 6-8 months old and about 10 lbs underweight.  She weighed in at a light 32.5 lbs. The vet thought she was a shepherd boxer mix, but who knows.  After that trip, B introduced her to Jersey and that was two of the happiest dogs I have ever seen.



She has since made her way into the house and is making herself right at home.



Although she has not been trained, she is very loving and learns rather quickly.  Mostly.  B and I have had to put on our puppy training hats.  It seems like such a long time ago I had to make sure to let a puppy out every couple of hours to prevent accidents.  However, she sleeps through the night with no accidents and mostly leaves the cats alone.  She is a keeper.

In keeping with tradition, we named her after the street on which she was found, Nevada. Technically it was not the exact street, but one right close by.  The thought was we could call her Neve for short, but it turns out we typically use her full name. I think she is starting to figure it out.

As of yesterday, she was up to 37 pounds and her coat is looking better. She has a lot of energy for a dog that was so lacking and we think she is a great addition to our family.

Welcome home, Nevada.

8 important things being said:

Ruth said...

I met her Sunday and she is a sweetheart.

Anonymous said...

I think B. always had a big heart for animals. It's people he hates.

Jennifer said...

Did B leave that last comment himself?

I cannot wait to meet her! I still think you should have named her Shore.

*~Dani~* said...

@Ruth - She said the same thing about you :)

@Anonymous - it is almost like you know B.

@Jennifer - it sure seems like it doesn't it?

phishez said...

She is BEAUTIFUL! And she has the biggest smile in the pic with Jersey.

Keep us posted.

*~Dani~* said...

@phishez - I knew this post would draw you out. She is one happy pup and we are happier with her (so is Jersey). If you have any tips on how to crate train her, though, let me know. We had no issues with Jersey but this one will just bark and bark, although if you put her in the garage, she does nothing.

Anonymous said...

You and B are truly heroes for saving that baby! There is no way in HELL her former owners deserved to get her back!

*~Dani~* said...

@hoodyhoo - I wouldnt call us heroes. I actually think we are the lucky ones. She is the most happy and loving dog ever.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin