Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

I will never think the same of this saying ever again.  I blame independent films in general and IFC specifically.  It all started out as a normal lazy Saturday day. The kind where I lay around and do nothing other than sleep, occasionally broken up by getting wrapped up in some movie that I just CANNOT stop watching.  

Independent movies are awesome.  They are edgier and deeper. Sometimes you can see well known actors/actresses in atypical roles.  You feel pretty elite and uber smart watching them. Until you watch the movie entitled "Sleeping Dogs Lie."  The guide on the TV said something like "a young girl's past indiscretion ruins her relationship" or something. I swear I was not even clued in by the title, but I got a clue in the first five minutes.  Let me put this to you delicately - young girl, foolish perhaps, alone in dorm room, with her dog, ewwwwww. Got it?  Use your imagination and then make it worse.  Luckily THAT scene did not play out in the movie.  And as crazy as this is, I continued to watch it. The rest of the movie centered on her insane desire to be COMPLETELY honest with her fiance prior to marriage. She gets all kinds of advice from people encouraging her to be honest without any clue as to her "secret."  She tells.  She is overheard. Her parents are told.  Hilarity ensues.  No, really, horror ensues.  

I watched the entire movie.

Is there something wrong with me?  Seriously. This was almost as bad as the time I got sucked up in the movie that went something like this - mom with broken leg, son caring for mom, cabin in the middle of nowhere, dad away on work trip, ewwwwww.  What is with these movies? What is with me watching them? 

About 3/4 of the way through the movie, B comes home, looks at the TV and says "I know what this is."   Let me give you some back story.  B thinks he is the king of movies.  It is true, you can ask him.  In fact, when we first started dating, he bragged about this incessantly.  He actually challenged me to name 5 movies that he hadn't seen that were not "chick flicks, stupid, or very old." I did.  I found 5.  I won.  He conveniently does not remember that entire conversation.  However, it occurred and I demoted him to the prince of movies.  So, quite often, while I am watching a movie, he will come in and declare he has seen it, attempt to name it within 30 seconds and if he is right shout "Ha!"  Um, okay.  

Back to this movie.  B insists he has seen it.  I say "Ha! I know you have not seen THIS one" thinking there is NO way this boy saw this movie.  He doesn't even like independent flicks.  He turns to me and says "oh yeah? It is the movie where the girl and her dog...."  I about fell out of my chair.  He really saw this movie!  Later, when I just wanted to know what happened and was getting bored, I asked him to tell me and he could. B sat through the ENTIRE movie! What is wrong with him? What is wrong with me?  Are we just some crazy obsessed sexually inappropriate movie lovers? Or are we uber smart, sophisticated and cultured?  

I say the latter.


P.S. Sorry Moms for the subject matter. Yes, I have two Moms. No they are not gay. Didn't we cover this already?

6 important things being said:

EP said...

Haha. I've found myself watching movies like that, too, and I sometimes wonder what's wrong with me. My boy is NOT a movie buff and makes fun of me for the stuff I watch (TV shows included) because he thinks a lot of the stuff I like is weird.

I vote uber smart, sophisticated and cultured

fingers said...

Yes, there is definitely something wrong with you.
It reminds me of that famous reality TV show somewhere in Scandinavia, which involved putting cameras in a house and letting parents see what their kids got up to after school, before the parents got home from work.
The parents were in front of a live audience and the stream from the house was live too.
Guess what happened...

*~Dani~* said...

ep - thanks for the vote of confidence. I bet B thinks a lot of the stuff i watch is weird, or at least stupid.

fingers - I am guessing they were up to NO GOOD. Was I right?

Bo Bo said...

There is nothing wrong with you.....unless you went straight out after the movie got a dog and enrolled in college

Jennifer said...

I think the funniest part of this is when you explained your two moms are not gay. As for the movie, it's like a train wreck. You should stop watching, but you just can't turn away!

*~Dani~* said...

bo - Thanks. You will be relieved, or disappointed, to know that I did neither of those things.

Jenny - I had to explain. Usually when you hear "my two moms" or "my two dads" they are either gay or the plot of some new comedy on network TV.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin